Often overshadowed by the presence of IndyCar at the Streets of Long Beach, the TUDOR United Sports Car Championship still attracts a number of die-hard fans who couldn’t care less about open-wheel racing. The best sports car racing America has to offer makes its yearly stop in southern California as a support race but for me it’s the main event.
Ricky Taylor of Wayne Taylor Racing drove the Konica Minolta Corvette DP to the pole position on Friday afternoon, while Bill Auberlen took the GTLM pole in his #25 BMW Z4. John Edwards was only a quarter second behind his teammate in the #24 Z4, and BMW Team RLL held the front row of the grid.
The green flag dropped on Saturday afternoon and the race was underway. Starting from pole, Ricky Taylor sped off and never looked back. His brother Jordan Taylor took over and got passed when Joey Hand had a fast pit stop in the Chip Ganassi Racing Riley-Ford DP. Hand let the Corvette DP re-pass him going into Turn 1 and the rest is history.
BMW Team RLL was able to turn their pole position into a win as well. As Dirk Werner trailed behind Pierre Kaffer’s Risi Competizone Ferrarri F458 with 10 minutes to go, Werner passed the Ferrari going into Turn 9 and kept the lead through the checkered flag. It was BMW Team RLL’s first win since the ALMS race at Long Beach in 2013.
Next is Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. We’ll see you there!
Long Beach Final Results:
1. #10 Wayne Taylor Racing Konica Minolta Corvette DP
2. #01 Chip Ganassi Racing Riley-Ford DP
3. #90 VisitFlorida.com Corvette DP
4. #31 Action Express Racing Whelen Engineering Corvette DP
5. #5 Action Express Racing Mustang Sampling Corvette DP
6. #60 Michael Shank Racing Honda HPD Ligier JS
7. #07 SpeedSource ModSpace Mazda Prototype
8. #70 SpeedSource Mazda Prototype
9. #0 Claro TracFone DeltaWing Racing DWC13
1. #25 BMW Team RLL BMW Z4 GTE
2. #62 Risi Competizone Ferrari F458 Italia
3. #3 Corvette Racing Corvette C7.R
4. #911 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR
5. #24 BMW Team RLL BMW Z4 GTE
6. #17 Team Falken Tire Porsche 911 RSR
7. #4 Corvette Racing Corvette C7.R
8. #912 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR